Any interest in learning to design and make your own clothing?

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa34d6bdbe8> #<Tag:0x00007fa34d6bdaa8>

Hi everyone!

I was just about to start drafting a basic top pattern to my measurements (lost the blocks I had in my move), and since for that I’ll be dusting off my theory books, I thought I’d ask if anyone is interested in learning, in which case I’d package up some notes while I go through the process with the idea of creating little workshops for those interested.

Of course menswear and womenswear are different stories, and so is making tops vs pants etc. But I got books for all those, so if you’re interested also do let me know what type of garment you have in mind and I can see what I can do :slight_smile:

disclaimer: I’ve been pretty passionate about designing custom fit garments for a couple years but I’m no pro and am mostly self taught, but what could possibly be impossible with our combined wisdom (and a lot of aspirin when things go wrong :)) )

Lemme know!

7 Likes

oh oh anyone who has widsom to impart please do reach out too! I have loads to learn too!

1 Like

I am!

1 Like

I have done a bit of pattern sewing but it would be great to learn more!

1 Like

I’d love to give it a go! Such an interesting and undervalued process, not to mention how wrong is the fashion industry at so many levels!

1 Like

Definitely interested in learning some fundamentals!

1 Like

I am super keen to give it a go!

1 Like

I’m interested too - I’ve done some pattern drafting before but it was quite some time ago and would be nice to do with a group.

1 Like

Sounds great! I’d love to be able to make my own waistcoats and/or ties!

1 Like

This sounds like great fun!
I did a bit of this years ago, and had a basic pattern for an all-in-one thing that was tailor fitted - a bit like a boilersuit or a flight suit. A friend-of-a-friend gave us a really basic crash course in pattern cutting, so we had the pattern plus our measurements, and a good idea on how to go about it again.
From this, I was able to modify that pattern to make basic trousers, coats, shirts… although this was all for making costumes for Burning Man rather than making clothing that I’d be willing to wear out and about around London … I think my creations would be way too crappy for that, not to mention at severe risk of falling apart at some inopportune moment :laughing:
The Sewing & Craft Superstore in Tooting have a good range of patterns available, which I’d highly recommend… there are all sorts of nuances and complexities to consider. I have successfully made trousers, coats, waistcoats, shorts from proper patterns, although again my quality of work is not quite to the levels of fast fashion, far less haute couture!
I’ve just got my sewing machine fixed (yet again, long story) and am planning on making an outfit for a May Ball I’m going to in a few weeks … will have to see if I get around to it in time though!
So… (apologies for long winded blathering…) I’m going to keep an eye on this thread, cos I’d love to improve my skills in this area!
p.s. anyone know how to thread an overlocker? :exploding_head:

1 Like

I did pattern drafting and draping in school. It’s been ages since I did it “by the books”, but I might still be helpful.

1 Like

Yeah this sounds interesting to me ! Men’s and women’s wear.
Definitely count me in :slight_smile: !

1 Like

Hey there, definitely interested! I’ve just bought some fabric to try and learn how to use the sewing machine. Would love to learn some stuff

1 Like

Fantastic, thanks everyone! We have a good little group here, I’m used to hearing crickets when I ask this question normally, so I’m pretty excited :))

Stay tuned! There’s so many possibilities, so we’ll do a bit of planning and get back via this thread

@Lauren thanks for offering your help, I’d love that! Lemme start a separate planning thread for us. Anyone interested in helping organise or teach , feel free to join the conversation at [PLANNING GROUP] garment making workshop!

2 Likes

I would love to learn! I’ve wanted to make simple tops for myself for a while, and maybe some skirts… I’m a bit clumsy and imprecise so I definitely need help with really making sure I stick to the pattern and dimensions (I made a gorgeous skirt with a waist that was way too tight for example).

1 Like

I’d love to learn how to use a sewing machine, they don’t really make sense to me and they probably should, only got some repair ideas at the moment but def interested :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Awesome!

@Laure_Belotti tops and skirts make great introductions to patterning (pants and jackets are beasts I haven’t tamed after a couple years of trying) so we should be able to get to that pretty soon :wink:

@smjmaker haha I know sewing machines are funny things at first, but noted I do think we’ll have to incorporate teaching some basic sewing skills in whatever workshop format we come up with ( and grateful that @Lauren and @TracyD will help with that cause my skills are shameful for someone who’s being doing still stuff supposedly for a couple years :innocent:) so stay tuned!

1 Like

Put me down as interested. I have a few patterns I was planning on adjusting for my measurements and got some basic cloth to make the first attempt and then stalled, so a nudge like this to pick it up with a sense of direction would be amazing.
I’m out of London until June. So will watch the group and see what zoom might enable.

2 Likes

Noted @AussieFred! I’ll make sure we have a think about zoom possibilities if we do something before you’re back!

2 Likes

Hi everyone!

Here comes the big survey! Please tell us more about your interests, skill level and format preferences and we’ll get cracking on a plan from there.

Answers by EOW would be great :star_struck:

Cheers!

5 Likes