Alex, aged 10,Up-cycling skateboards into furniture

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa49ae84d88> #<Tag:0x00007fa49ae84b80> #<Tag:0x00007fa49ae848b0>

Alex is going to design some stools using old skateboards at the Makerspace, hopefully using some found wood from our Kent woods for the legs. His brother, Femi, is going to get some air quality sensors to incorporate into the designs. They are collaborating with a young coder, Rohan, in Novia Scotia, Canada - as part of a Community TV segment for Brilliant Labs - to inspire other young kids to think about making, tech and the environment. If you have any old skateboards hanging around - please could you donate to Alex. Also, any experience with air quality sensors? please do reach out. Thanks Grace (mum)

1 Like

@Bushra_Burge is someone who has worked with air quality related technologies. She’s an artist who usually focuses on technology. I’ve tagged her here in case this is of interest.

I have a couple of old decks and a few snapped ones also.

How many do you need?
I have some mates with stacks of them,
Happy to ask around

1 Like

Thank you @electronoob - we are borrowing a CO2 sensor from Simon at Monk Makes but they are £110 - we want to see how we can provide a cheap - more affordable option - maybe using Arduiino. @Courty - any ideas?

@Jonty_Bottomley - that’s great - just a few as we picked up quite a few from Hop Kings. Alex wanted to use a few trucks or wheel - we haven’t any of them. We’re coming down on Tuesday morning - arranged with @Dermot. Thanks Jonty

Yes - please do. Alex is so excited about the project. Thank you.

Hi Grace, hope you and the guys are well…

First Q would be do you really need to monitor the pure CO2 ? For indoor air quality, there’s a number of other things to monitor (with cheaper sensors). The most obvious one is particulate pollution from dust through to diesel. This has a direct correlation with Asthma so a good one to look at.
I have an eCO2 (equivalent CO2) sensor in one of my monitors, close enough for most things and Much cheaper. Mainly good for monitoring people in a room etc or background CO2 and similar outdoors.

https://thingspeak.com/channels/129918

Courty

1 Like

Hi Paul,

It’s lovely to hear from you.

Femi’s looked into it a bit and he agrees that a PM2.5 sensor would work well - and be useful for those with asthma like little Alex. We want to keep it all affordable and the eCO2 sounds good but is it useful for indoors? In terms of outside, Femi want PM2.5 and NO2 - are they useful measures for air pollution outside? If possible, can you give Femi some guidance on how to build a PCB with sensors and a battery?

We both really like your graphs and visualisation of the measurements too. Me and Alex will at makerspace tomorrow with Dermot (outside) and as it’s half term we will be around for other times too. Can we join the Electronics group on Thursday?

1 Like

I’m using the SDS011 PM2.5 PM10 Particle/dust Sensor as it’s easy to hook up as it has a digital output, good for indoor or out
For other pollutants, I have a TVOC eCO2 I2C Gas Sensor CJMCU811 / CCS811. Again good for in or out but especially good for indoors as it sees flammable vapour and chemical pollution too, sort of thing new carpets give off.

Not sure when I’ll be about, all a bit mad at work ATM

Courty

Hi Paul,

Are you doing the Electronics session tomorrow at the Makerspace’s outside space? We’d really like to come down and explore some of the air quality sensors.

Kind regards

Grace

1 Like