A New Toy for the Woodshop... :D

The space now has a biscuit jointer, an extremely useful and versitile tool for joining boards, cutting grooves in vertical panels for draw runners, internal splines in mitred corners and a multitude of other tasks.

Talk to @woodtechs for a run-through of how to use the machine safely.

It lives on the shelf with the other hand power tools, biscuits live in one of the draws of the glue cabinet.

12 Likes

And a couple of photographic examples;

N.b. long grooves should be made in multiple passes, this is not a router to be dragged along a piece of timber. We have biscuit bits for a router for these sorts of uses which is a much more stable and therefore safe means of doing this task.

8 Likes

@Jonty_Bottomley is the biscuit jointer still up and running? Also, do we have a supply of biscuits knocking about? Cheers mate.

I saw it working and biscuits are in the bottom tiny drawer above the sanding machine.

1 Like

:+1:

@woodtechs @directors I’m so, so sorry, but I broke the depth gauge on the biscuit jointer. Caught the power cable with a plank of wood, sending the unit toppling and it caught the corner of the workbench right on the sweet spot.

It’s not salvageable unfortunately. I’ve drawn on some rough markings for 0 & 10 biscuits. They work by looking straight down at the side of the unit and lining up the black marks. No mark for 20’s as they will be at full depth. Not ideal, but it’s all I could think of.

Again, really sorry.

2 Likes

Hey, these things happen! As ever, we’re most grateful for people letting others know

Thanks for letting us know. Is the screw adjuster still around? Might be able to make an alternative system…

Hey Ed, it’s in the drawer with the biscuits. Bottom little wooden drawer by the glues and adhesives.

1 Like

Actually, now you mention it…it looks as if those two screws are solely for holding the depth gauge arm. Could maybe fashion one out of acrylic or even wood? I didn’t give it much of a look as I was a bit flustered, but am popping in tomorrow to unclamp some wood, so will have a quick look.

2 Likes

more or less what I was thinking, yeah…

1 Like

Checked today and I’m pretty sure the screws are just for the gauge. Thinking this is a job for someone with CAD and 3D printing skills…

I’d do it, but I have neither!

1 Like

Has the biscuit joiner been taken out of service for now or is it still available for cutting some size 20s?

Hi Dan, it sounds like it’s useabe but no depth stop. I’m down tomorrow, so I’ll take a look then.

I’ve been using it without the depth stop. Even at full depth I’ve been using 10s with no real issues and have made some nice strong joints. 20s will be fine.

1 Like