A-level engineering project

My name is Nol Kelmendi and I am an A-Level engineering student currently studying at East Barnet Secondary School.
I am looking into the marketability of a product that will assist in metal fabrication; specifically in bending and rolling strip and rod bars as at present current designs are either large and non-portable or can only bend thin metal sheet from 25 SWG to 14 SWG. The intended location of use for this product is in schools and community workshops. I have generally found that schools and community workshops alike are ill equipped in metal work fabrication when it comes to folding, bending and rolling.
If you are interested in helping me, I would very much appreciate any thoughts and concerns towards the potential of this sort of product.

Hi Nol,

I’m tagging a few members who may have experience/interest in this area

@RichM @nico.dejong.nz @Calum_Nicoll

Is this the sort of thing you are looking at?

Yeah this is the kind of thing I’m looking at. I’m just wondering if its a worthwhile A-level project to pursue for the next 2 years.

I’d love one! But I’m a blacksmith so might be a bit niche…

Is this the sort of thing you’d use to bend metal rods to make hairpin table legs? Considering I’ve just dropped £40 to buy a 14” set for a coffee table, I’d love the opportunity to make my own for less outlay.

Yeah it could be used for this. Im looking to point my project towards assisting with smaller projects such as school projects or personal workshop projects so you could make those hairpin legs.

2 Likes

Nice legs.

2 Likes

oooooh matron!

2 Likes

They really are though! And makes a coffee table project very do-able - I was thinking I would need to spend ages mulling over how to make legs and how to attach everything together.

Yeah…I was the same. I know the hairpin look is very common now, but it’s the ease of it that has made me go that route.

I’m going to the space tomorrow to try and laser a jig to use to route out a nice little recess for the L-bracket to slot into…so from the side profile, it looks like the legs disappear into the table as opposed to seeing the plate attached to the underside of the tabletop…if that makes sense?!

Also going to use insert nuts (type D) and M5 bolts to attach the legs as opposed to screwing them. Will allow the legs to be removed easily for transit and storage.

1 Like

Great. I’m going in tomorrow to try to finish my shoe rack - see you there.

1 Like