3d Printer Out of Action

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa49703bb08>

Hi @3dtechs I was trying to use the ultimaker today and it looks like the feed cog needs replacing. The material will load but when it comes up against the resistance of the head the cog just slips and chews up the PLA. The PLA doesn’t advance into the head and extrude.

Hopefully its a quick fix.

Thanks
Iain

The filament might be catching as it’s entering the nozzle chamber.
Try helping it through by hand until you can see it come out of the nozzle.

If that fails i would check to see that the clear tube is properly inserted through the nozzle assembly, sometimes if the tube isn’t properly in it misguides the filament and it just hits a wall.

This kind of things happens when you switch materials. If you have had ABS in there before and you are printing with PLA, there might be ABS residue that isn’t getting up to temperature to melt (as PLA uses a lower temp) and is causing a slight blockage and adding strain onto the feed motor.

You could try increasing the nozzle temp to around 240 and letting the PLA run through for 30 seconds or so, to clear it.

If it’s still skipping while it’s coming out of the nozzle then you could try a cold pull.

Basically you insert the material into he nozzle by hand, wait for it to start coming through, leave it cool a little to about 100’c and then pull it out with pliers or what not. If there is any carbonated plastic inside the nozzle then it sticks to the filament you are pulling out and essentially cleans the chamber of residue.

1 Like

I did have a quick go at trying to helping the PLA into the nozzle, but with no joy. And I didnt see any misalignment but I didnt have a close look. If I can I’ll have another look next time I’m at the space.

I am on my way in, I will have a look

Thanks mark. Any joy?

In addition to the cold pull technique described by @Turnip-Stew I insert a wirebrush strand through the heated nozzle.

@directors
On a side note, i have a bunch of spare parts for the Ulitmaker 2 including motors and thermistors. If we ever need new parts give me a shout first as I can give them to you for better prices than UMGB :slight_smile:

1 Like

after 2 hours,about 12 atomic pulls and a hot needle last night i managed to clear the blockage,

seems to be working fine now

5 Likes