3D Printer for Education

Hi all,

I’m looking at getting a 3D printer(s) for school. A small print bed is fine. Cheaper would be better as a few could be purchased (I’m thinking about a class of 25 all wanting to print their work). As school budgets are being cut I do not have much to spend, and I want to use my budget wisely.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

I thought someone with more knowledge than me would step up…

The Prusa MK2 is meant to be very good. I think a couple of members have them - @frasco and @lewisss?

I’m impressed with the Ultimaker - it just works out of the box.

I have a £250 Geeetech kit that I bought off eBay and I rather like that too - but it took a number of hours to build, and really needs cooling fans adding, and self-leveling sensor…

Thanks Rich,

I’ve been looking at Kits, and I’ve decided I want a built printer. I remember building my delta 3 years ago… took me hours, great fun, but not again.

I think the Ultimaker is just a bit out of my budget.

I’m still keeping my eye out

Da vinci’s are probably the cheapest, workable, ready made printers available and have enclosed print spaces if you are looking at it from a health and safety perspective.

It does however use a proprietary system so it makes its money on filaments etc.

If money wasn’t an issue then i would definitely say get a Ultimaker 2+, best FDM on the market in my opinion.

I’ve looked at the Da Vincis, however I don’t want to buy any printer that forces me to buy their filaments.

I’m leaning towards Up Mini 2 by TierTime. It’s enclosed and reasonably priced.

The dremel ones are used a lot.

Both @frasco and @CriticalTolerance have built one of these.
Maybe worth getting some feedback from them,

I can vouch for the Prusa - works remarkably well on set up. I went for the kit, but they come assembled too with a small price increase. Not had too much chance to play with it properly, and I’m building an enclosure for it, but otherwise great fun.

The Prusa i3 MK2 is now obsolete.

It has been replaced by the Mk2S

Main difference is that the fairly naff cable ties holding the plattern to the Y axis has been replaced by stainless steel U bolts. There is also some changes to the extruder head with reguard to setting the self levelling sensor.