3D printed toy parts

Hey, thanks again for taking the time to help us out.

I’ll be dropping in to the space around 8pm tonight. Is that okay?

Cheers.

Hi, been swamped, i did a test print and need to tweek some settings, may be better to collect the bits tomorrow from the space… test print was ok but not as clean as I was aiming for…

No worries. I should be popping down on Monday to drop off some photographic equipment and do a spot of sanding in the woodshop, so I can collect them then if you let us know where they’re stashed once you get a chance? cheers again.

Dale, I printed a few more test prints with better results but strength long term may be an issue, are all the dims fixed or can we modify it to make it stronger?

Dims? Sorry if I’m being dim, but I don’t understand :confused:

I think he means dimensions - like could it be chunkier as long as the internal diameters (IDs) are the same or does the gap/place it fits into have tight tolerances

1 Like

Yes sorry, dimensions

I’ll get to grips with maker jargon at some point!

Are you about still tonight? If so, will drop in and grab the test prints so I can fit them and see if there’s room to bulk up the shaft at all?

Yep, will be there from about 8:30 ish.
Have one you can try but if you bring in the other bits we can have a look

Cool.

What other times do you go to the space?

Thinking it’ll probably be best to bring the whole thing down and have a look at it there rather than taking odds and sods to and fro.

Also wanted to see if any electronic gurus were about to have a look at the circuit board inside the unit as I cannot for the life of me see how the helicopter noise is activated! There’s a voice activation switch which is fine, but the rotor noise seems to kick in randomly. I’m sure anyone with the slightest electronic nouse would take one look and know what’s what, but I literally have no clue about circuits and electrics.

@Jonathan - Hello mate, just wondering when you’ll next be down the space and if it’s still cool to bring the toy down? Cheers.

@frasco was going to turn one in aluminium on the lathe so it was bombproof. Frank, did you get any further with this?
@DAC17 sorry about the late response, I have 2 kids and a demanding job, went offline for a bit… :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Frank showed me the part he’d turned on the lathe as the first test piece for the machine, so it exists!

I have turned one with centre drilled holes 1.5mm and 2.0mm (for tapping M2.5) length 12mm. But I’m not convinced that the threaded section should be M2.5 and not M3, so I’ve not tapped the larger hole.

M2.5 is a very uncommon thread size, but if it really is M2.5, I think I might have a 2.5 set somewhere.

The threaded section is definitely M3

I thought it would be.

So my piece needs to be drilled out to 2.5mm and then tapped.

@frasco @Jonathan - hey guys, just wondered if you’ll be down the space this weekend at all? Was thinking of bringing the little’un down with the toy so he can see it be repaired and maybe get him interested in tinkering. Thanks again for your efforts :smile:

@DAC17 sorry about the delays in getting this done.
@frasco has finished the toy part and it is located here along with some of the PLA test prints.

Let us know if it needs any mods to fit correctly.
Happy flying… :wink:

Amazing!

Thank you guys so much. Popping down today to measure up for some kitchen doors, so will grab them then.

Fantastic.

Thanks again.

Hey - thanks again for the parts.

I must make a confession…I’ve had a bit of a mare with the fitting of the parts. The black one snapped quite quickly when I was trying to insert the rod into it. The green one on the other hand was perfect…all apart from the bloke who was installing it. In my rush to see if the rod would fit properly, I inserted it before adding the spring and the plastic washer. The rod was a snug fit and I was then unable to get it back out and I snapped the green part trying to release it! I’ve now moved onto the metal part, which is very good, but all the messing about with the rod had bent it. I’m now in a position where I have the metal part with a 2mm hole bored through it and the white cog that used to reside on the metal rod. I’m intending to get a length of 2-2.5m threaded rod and hopefully screw the cog onto it and then somehow sink the rod into the hole I drilled out. Any ideas on how I can get a piece of metal rod to stay put within the hole I have drilled out? Any particular adhesive or similar I could use? Any advice would be great as the sum of my thoughts on it is a bit of gorilla glue and a whole load of faith!