Woodworking workshop cold start!

We can use cheap nonresharpabule ones

Hardpoint saws are very good.

However it would be great to encourage reuse and sharpening/care of saws. Sharpening only takes a few minutes. New saws (Sheffield steel I think) start at about £35 each. I have a link somewhere.

2 Likes

I agree. And because everyone else is using cheap hard points does that mean there are second hand decent tenon saws around?

1 Like

@stefanoromano I just noticed the Before pic it’s held in a fancy clamp of some sort. Is this part of our sharpening machine? Very useful :slight_smile:

Is it time to start up Monday evening woodworking night again?

On the layout, I realise this might not be possible and might also sound a bit mad but I would really love the hand tool benches to come out of the corners so you don’t have your back to the room while working on them. I think it will feel a bit weird / claustrophobic to be facing the wall while you’re tinkering and would be better to have the benches in the middle of the room & power tools by the walls.

1 Like

Hopefully soon when the RAMS and induction process is done

1 Like

The layout is still flexible and if you can come up with something feel free to jump in , but it’s going to be tight but I will try to get one more bench in

1 Like

Yes

1 Like

any chance monday evening woodwork could be on a tuesday?

[eg: tuesday night woodworking]

im late to the party, so do monday if you want.

Yes, that weel came with EVERYTHING and a bit more…

1 Like

@SarahJ second that. Two of those vises are right up against the walls which makes them pretty much unusable.

@RichM Yeah I think hardpoint saws are a false economy. We also already have everything we need to sharpen saws (two very nice saw sets, at least one saw file and loads of flat files)

Quite a few things on ebay if we want to go second hand:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Elwell-Tenon-Saw-Pattern-695-10-cut-14-tpi-/391448143346?hash=item5b2420a5f2:g:cDcAAOSw~oFXKO2v

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Henry-Disston-Steel-Backed-Tenon-Saw-10-Made-in-Toronto-Canada-/222107537738?hash=item33b6a4114a:g:lDsAAOSwLs5XKkMe

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-12-steel-back-tenon-saw-/262422227523?hash=item3d19956a43:g:wBEAAOSwubRXK4px

All the ones at the market were totally rusty and battered and not really worth the time fixing them so we didn’t buy any

We have a nice little sheffield gent’s saw in the space tool box which needs some care but it should come back to life just fine.

1 Like

Do you mean like an island?

That might help demonstrations too.
A lot of people could crowd around a bench that wasn’t against a wall.

I have left a plane on the workbench by the fire door

Great ! Thanks tom. I brought an extra one down as a loan plus a big no7 that I can share with careful users, once I get the handle fixed. For now planes sit on the shelf above the belt sander.
We have quite a nice collection now !

1 Like

What this plane?

2 Likes

Interlock fitted to pillar drill:

3 Likes

Do we have any budget left for hand tools?

I think we need a couple of Japanese saws, some straight edges in various sizes and some marking knives.

1 Like

It was my understanding that we were to wait until all the work & inductions are complete before we purchase any more tools…

Yes there is no rush. Although there were lots of people looking for straight edges today and they all seem to have vanished so it would be good to get some sooner rather than later.