Wood Working – Monday 31st August

I’d like to join in and help with making whatever is necessary for the space.
It seems my direct debt will only be processed from the 3rd though so if on Mondays I can come from the 7th.

@Gui as long as a member is present you’ll be able to join.

@unknowndomain, thanks, I’ll try and come on Monday then if people are there. Cheers.

We look forward to seeing you @Gui. Is anyone else planning on coming on Monday (or next Monday)? Plenty of you have said your interested but when specifically are you interested in coming?

I will be looking to come in on Monday early afternoon.

Do we know what time are people planning on meeting up/working? Unfortunately I will only be able to be there for 2 or 3 hours tops as I have visitors. Need to plan around it. :smile:

@gui @sarahbarber @Rob_Morandi I have moved your posts to this new topic to plan monday.

Thanks @unknowndomain for creating the new thread. @Rob_Morandi I know it’s bank holiday but I have made daytime plans as other meetups have always tended to be around 7:30pm, sorry for being unclear. Are you normally available during the evening? @Gui are you able to make 7:30pm? I can do slightly earlier or later if that helps anyone. If no-one has said they’re coming by Sunday night then I will postpone until next Monday.

Hi @sarahbarber, I can’t this Monday, sorry.
Actually nor can I next Monday. Is Monday the only available evening for the group?

Hi All, I sprained my ankle last night and can’t make it to the space easily so will be giving this Monday a miss. I’ll get going on organising the next one.

@Gui it doesn’t have to be an Monday but there are a few reasons why I picked Monday:

1. It’s a day we don’t have other big groups in the space. We haven’t yet built any dividing walls so a whole load of people using power tools at once might annoy other groups.
  2. It’s a day that suits me.
  3. No-one else has suggested any other days of the week.

I’m open to suggestions for other days. We can’t always please everyone. This is a 24/7 space so hopefully there will be more than one day a week where people are willing to come and work on things.

Cheers
Sarah

hi all,

I can make next Monday evening and weekly Monday’s thereafter…(today alas got a Gatwick run)

Excited to see woodworkers coming together!

Afshin

I might be able to make next Monday but will have to coordinate around out of town guests – I’m definitely in thereafter.

I was in there doing some woodwork and wanted to brain dump my thoughts on highest priority (probably obvious) next steps:

1. Figuring out an induction process for the bandsaw. Wooboy hacksawing is a pain. We could get away without setting up the pillar drill for longer.
  2. Dedicating a skip for wood only scraps: longer term one for reuseable pieces and one for rubbish
  3. On that note: maybe some guidelines for what to keep and what to toss and how to toss. Any active projects going on will very quickly generate a lot of offcuts.
  4. Work surfaces…I know there are the two big tables in there with built in vices. Are those available for use? More clamps in general would be high on the list of things to source.
  5. Do we have any communal projects we need that we could use to get a group of us making? Benches, stools, anything like that?

We have several big vices hanging around that could be mounted to workbenches

Don’t forget, no solo working with machine tools :slight_smile:

@GoldieRatio as far as I know those benches with the vices can be used by us, though they are a little heavy to move. We will definitely need to deal with all the points you’ve raised. I’ll be working with handsaws on Monday until we can figure out how we are going to navigate use of the power tools.

The one thing that really springs to mind would be the kitchen work-units.