Space code of conduct formalisation / discussion

I’ve re written this a few times. This is about version 6. There’s a lot less negativity in this version. it’s also a lot shorter and a lot less blaming examples included.

In short I think the current system (for use of the space) (or lack of one) doesn’t work and I’ld like it to change. If you want to help me let me know and we can work together on that.

I don’t think the current system is an inevability that we need to accept. It’s just a system that can be improved by defining it more clearer and improving systems. The fact that some people are closed to change doesn’t mean we need to accept their lack of ambition. Come and talk to me (in confidence) and we can work out a way forward together. I’m very open to working with any one else who wants to work with me to push this forward.

There are a very small handful of members that are disrespecting the rest of the members in the way they behave in the space. Their actions have meant members have left, techs have stepped down and conflict in the space has been growing. Techs have to tidy after them every time they come to the space. They often leave the space unusable for others.
They contravene the members code of conduct daily.

In summary:

• work on implementing a cleaning and ‘using the space system’ [code of conduct] that works for all members not just a tiny minority.
2 Likes

We’ve just had members’ meeting, we covered some of this then. Come and talk to one of the directors about your concerns &#8211: especially as you seem to have specific concerns, and there seem to be accusations bound up in what you are saying. However, members disrespecting the space and other members is not acceptable

I think you’ve done a great job in how you’d worded this , great work there!

I don’t think the issue you are describing is with the code of conduct so much as that deals with personal behaviours, however the values (a.k.a. rules) of Makerspace.

Still I would argue however that it’s not so much the rules including the values and code of conduct that are the issue, so much as the fact that there hasn’t been a system to enforce it and in absence of that process the directors haven’t dealt with these issues in a robust way either.

This lack of a process for dealing with these issues in an actionable way has created an atmosphere where people just complain about things to each other rather than reporting them.

Put simply another way I don’t think that Makerspace has an effective process for raising grievances, however this has been worked on as part of the governance process:

https://discourse.southlondonmakerspace.org/t/governance-2017-4of4-conflict-resolution/5857

Which we’ll be discussing at the next members meeting on Tuesday 26th September 2017 at 19:30.

My sense here is that as you’ve said it’s a small minority then you have specific members in mind. If this is the case then it needs to be talked through. If you are unable to talk it through with the members then you should contact the directors. However, for this system to work you will need to work with the system.

I agree with Dermot’s sense that this should probably start with the individual members. But I think asking one member to address a situation themselves is not a good idea. This is why peer mediation is baked into the conflict resolution proposal.

I’d say it depends on very much on the situation – we need to be able to talk to each other honestly, and at an early stage: this avoids it getting to the point of mediation. For example: pointing out that a member needs to tidy up if they appear to be leaving without doing so should be something the majority of us are comfortable with. Or raising a safety concern…but as I said: if a member isn’t able to raise an issue directly, or feels it inappropriate then they should raise it with the directors, who will decide how to take it forward.

We’ve held face to face meetings with members involved in conflicts and behavioural issues before, recently with the option of bringing an advocate, and offered to facilitate mediation between parties in the past.

There’s only one thing I am thinking. …