Soldering iron calibration 2

I’ve calibrated both of the soldering irons with the tips they have on them now to be 350ºC.

Please be careful if changing the temperature not to change the calibration as it’s a pain to have to keep coming down to change them, however both are now perfectly achieving their temperatures.

Whilst we’re on the topic:

For most jobs somewhere between 330ºC to 370ºC is perfectly fine for all types of solder, realistically 250-270ºC is adequate for many jobs.

People who need to crank up the temperature to 400ºC to get a bit more thermal capacity out of the iron, please remember to set it back down after as it wears out the heater, tips and thermocouple more rapidly, as well as potentially causing pads to delaminate for the next user.

1 Like

Thanks @unknowndomain, and sorry for the extra work.

Yep, I was trying to turn the temperature down from something like 450C-480C!

Please be careful if changing the temperature not to change the calibration

As mentioned, it’s possible to password-protect the calibration function to stop people doing that by accident when they’re trying to change the temperature. I suggest we do that (and probably just keep the password public e.g. write it on the iron) - the simple fact that the iron starts prompting someone for a password lets them know they’re on the wrong track.

1 Like

I don’t know how to do that but best to speak to @electrotechs about that.

I added your notes into a new wiki page for the tool

2 Likes