RE: Compact oven

Dear All,

My name is Shuko Eaton. I’m a new member and joined Makerspace because I’m making phone cases with PVC. In order to that make these I need to bring a compact oven( 23cmX34cmx20cm ).
Therefore, I would like to donate it to Makerspace. Would this be okay?

Kind regards,

Shuko Eaton

2 Likes

Please put a not for food label on it .

Other wise something will probably go wrong :grinning:

That’s true :slight_smile: I would do that. Thanks for the advice!

It might be. The biggest problem is always space and where things go, I would very much suggest that you go to the space, ask and have a look if there’s anywhere that could fit it without getting in the way of things too much.

Absolutely though label it and make sure it’s not going to set fire to anything when it’s turned on…

1 Like

ATTN @directors

This activity likely needs a risk assessment as there will be fumes from the PVC and a fire risk from heating plastic.

Also you need to follow the donations policy: Donating or Lending Items

• Be approved by directors.
  • Undergo a risk assessment.

How do you get approval from the directors and also perform a risk assessment?

Kind regards,

Shuko

That you just need to talk to them about.

As for how to do a risk assessment you need to start by identifying the risks for the activity you are undertaking, classifying how severe and likely the risk is to occur.

Then look at what measures could be implemented to control it, then how that affects the risk and likelihood after the control measures.

For example heating PVC will create fumes, quick research shows they are a carcinogen.

So before control measures the risk is HIGH, the likelihood is HIGH, overall risk is VERY HIGH.

Proper extraction could reduce that risk to HIGH, the likelihood to LOW, the overall risk as LOW/MEDIUM.

Something like that…

Best to start by asking the directors though.

Thank you, much appreciated.

@directors