Purchasing a Kreg Jig or similar

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa4961014a8> #<Tag:0x00007fa496101278> #<Tag:0x00007fa496101138> #<Tag:0x00007fa496100ff8>

I was going to split it to a new thread, but your diligence was faster than mine!

Let’s buy some tools.
I want to learn to mske as many joints as possible.
I think we should by one of each type and learn different techniques.

+1 jig
+1 biscuit thingy

• 1 good dowel jig.
2 Likes

Agreed! and good quality ones :smiley:

Yeah we got money. Let’s spend some on awesome tools. Let’s use our collective buying power to “promote learning”. Hay that would qualify us as a charity! Double whammy.

1 Like

Cordless is great if you’re on site or moving around a lot, but the biscuit jointer will only be used in one place so the disadvantages outweigh the advantages here.

Makita should be fine. Haven’t used one but I like the stuff of theirs I do have.

I agree with you.

It was just an example :slight_smile:

Guys can we wait a bit? We are so busy with the inductions now… is more important isn’t it?
In general I agree but if we wait in a couple of weeks we can buy something with a good research behind… let’s don’t rush… still shitloads to do for us… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Of course. You’re the WoodTech!

good thinking, time and prudence a good idea.

I would +1 for some jiggeoffery for jointing and pocketscrewing when the time is right.

1 Like

I have a pocket hole jig I’m happy to lend the space for now if anyone wants to have a play with it in the meantime. It’s not the kreg one but another brand from screwfix. It’s pretty easy to use, if you can use a drill safely you can use this. Only constraint is the material you’re joining has to be at least 18mm thick, not sure if that’s the same with the kreg.

Thanks a lot, that I’m sure will help…:slight_smile:
Some of them go down to 12 mm but not less…

There’s probably a limit on what thickness you can safely hold together with pocket screws anyway ?

Yes exactly… the screws grab on the thickness of the material… So less than 12 I don’t think is doable

Agreed, if anyone is in a rush to biscuit joint anything let me know…

I was looking at the router table last night and we may have to spend some money on that. Like a dedicated spindle and height adjuster.
I would like to talk to @stefanoromano regarding this on Saturday if you are about.
I can get it working on Saturday but height adjustment will be a pain in the rear.
So do we want something that works but takes a bit longer to set up for use, or wait a bit longer, spend some money on it and have it easy to use.

The router lifts i was looking at looked fantastic but the cheapest one was £300 (incra or jessem do them)

Probably worth the money though they are very precise and adjustable directly from the top

A post was split to a new topic: Bringing router table into action

I left a pocket hole jig in a small box on the bench in the corner near the fire door to clean room. The box has my name on it.

3 Likes

Awesome! Thanks @SarahJ!

Just in case anyone is planning to use this soon - I’ve taken it home for a week or so for something Im building. Will post again when it’s back in the space. :slight_smile:

1 Like

There is a pocket hole jig in the space

1 Like