Projection Mapping tools

Does any body know any software that allows you to projection map your display live? Doesn’t need to do anything fancy, just project on to a surface that is at slight angle to the projector. I’ve found LPMT but that seems to only works on video files (as far as I can work out). Thanks!

I’ve heard of VPT (Never used it) https://hcgilje.wordpress.com/vpt/

From Website

VPT (VideoProjectionTool) is a free multipurpose realtime projection software tool for Mac and Windows created by HC Gilje.

Among other things it can be used for projecting video on complex forms, adapt a projection to a particular space/surface, combine recorded and live footage, for multiscreen HD playback, for interactive installations using arduino sensors or camera tracking ++

Oh nice that sounds good. I’ll give it a bash thanks!

If it’s that simple, keystone in the projector – if the projector has that.

Otherwise: Mac or PC? If on a Mac, keywords are “syphon” to capture the screen and pass the resulting video stream around, and then there’s a bunch of options to quad/perspective warp that on the display going to the projector. Madmapper is the projection mapping go-to, but overkill.

Serious over kill but as a general reference… Madmapper would be the tool to use.

I was trying to use keystone but I was in full scale panic mode and I couldn’t make it work, i’ll give it another bash today. Does "Syphon"ing use a lot of processing power?

But great I’ll try out the demo of madmapper but it’s a bit pricey. It could well be an option for the future. Thanks for all the help though! you guys are loads better than google. :smile:

Syphon: no. It’s a beautiful thing. Passes references to GPU resources between apps, thanks to all the sandboxing / xpc work Apple has done.

tbz::spk // mobile mail

For stills and quick and dirty photography you can also just use photoshop or similar in full screen mode. I’ve got a couple of licenses for mad mapper if you want to try something temporarily, I could bring a laptop in but it is indeed overkill for mucking about especially just with stills.

Anyone have experience live painting on to projections? I’m building a rig that projects from an iPad to a hemispherical dome. I know I could get a live video stream through Quicktime to do proper projection mapping, but I’m guessing the lag and the brain power required to reverse project in your own head (while drawing) would ruin the experience. My current setup is one projector pointing top down on to the dome, but I might find that I need to stitch two projectors together for the projected image to make any sense.

It’s for a children’s museum, so magic and fun and ease of use are my priorities.

Does it have to be an ipad?

There’s this patch for Quartz Composer on the mac, which I played with a few years ago when I thought I might be building a planetarium dome (hah!)

http://paulbourke.net/dome/warppatch/
and this tool to get the right alignment
http://paulbourke.net/dome/meshmapper/

It worked then. No idea about now!

QC is a great tool for building interactive multimedia doodads; give it a go!

Yea, his site is brilliantly well documented.

iPad is the preference as it saves me having to buy fancy Wacoms. I need a screen-based input to pull off real-time painting. I’ll check out QC anyhow.

I think I have a half-finished planetarium dome sitting around since 2006…the railway arch does have an awfully high ceiling :smile:

Tagtool is what you want to be looking at, I suspect. It’s a great project that started with wacoms and game controller on laptops but has had an iPad app for a few years. I bet they’ve got a projection mapping solution for the iPad app by now.

Otherwise Tom’s right that that doing it on a laptop will make hacking a solution together easier. I’ve done live drawing things using quartz composer and cheap wacom tablets, to the extent I wrote my own openGL drawing plug-in for QC.