Mission Statement / Design Brief / Decision Making

After spending a great day in the space adding in some sockets and trying to catch up with the wall thread, thought I would start a thread about decision making processes and put forward a couple of ideas.

First is having a mission statement / constitution - I imagine something like this all ready exists but it can be really useful to have in black and white and in a prominent space. Also it helps if it is the right balance between specific and not too wordy - a ‘soundbite’ opening sentence, then a couple more paragraphs, peppered with a bullet pointed list or two if necssary - and it’s forward looking - hope and dreams rather than how members should behave. Mission Statment, what it says on the tin.

Second is having a design brief - (again I think there probably is one for Phase II?), and it should be decided upon before any practical considerations are discussed - I’ve detailed below a proposition for collectively creating a design brief.

The wall discussion seems to be (full disclosure, I have skim read only some of it) this mish-mash of practical and philosophical discussions and wanting to be heard and ideas recognised (pretty normal stuff for a forum which are a sub-optimal tool for making practical decisions it seems).

The benefits to having these two documents, one generic, another specific to the task at hand, are that they can be referred to during these kinds of wall type discussions, and practical solutions can be tested against it - what criteria does it fulfil, how well does it meet that goal? Basically the solutions pretty much suggest themselves once you have the brief nailed down.

The brief creation process I think could be relatively painless also. Trustees set up a wiki type document with some useful headers is created and in to this all desires are loaded into over a set time - say a week or two. Member edit and add bullet pointed :wink: items. Some headings for a Phase II brief might be ‘uses for the space’ ‘noise requirements’ ‘pest control’ ‘lighting’ ‘power’ etc. These should be specific and can be personal - blue sky thinking encouraged, obtainable goals commended. Questions and agreements can happen in the thread below.

All desires go in, and then after the deadline, they are collated and organised. Any that are totally contradictory go to a vote - is A or B more important at this present time? The remainder are prioritised - this can be voted on using an ‘order of preference’ type vote (I think Doodle has this facility?). Then those that are most important take precedence and given more time / resources / space

This way everyone has say, but the majority desire comes through and it’s all an easily accessible and a transparent process. After a couple or so weeks you get a document that states in black and white what our needs are, then the practical questions answer themselves - this much space for X, this much money for Y and from this a design should become almost self apparent, to be taken up by whoever has time to implement and decide the finer details on.

If the entirety of Iceland can do it, so can we :slight_smile:

I find maker spaces and the decision making processes fascinating but mostly like everyone I really love the space and just can’t wait to get it up and running.

4 Likes

You’re absolutely bang on about our need for such things. Trustees been talking about it just today actually. Lets make it happen.

Sounds pretty much exactly what we need.

Nice work Pip.

1 Like

We don’t have a “mission statement” as such, but we did put this list of Values together:

With the intention that saying what you are for is much more positive than saying what is forbidden.