μMeet Thursday 2nd July 2015

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa49db61180>

μMeet is on as usual this week.

Members will be working on their own projects.
Ill be working on the rfid entry system again.
If anyone is good with enclosures for projects id appreciate the help.
We need a box with some ventilation and to keep fingers from live wires.

All levels of experience are welcome. If your stuck ask for some help, If youve got something to show and attendees are interested please feel free to show off.

The box of bits is in the back of the arch on the top right of the shelving.
The μMeet box of bits has components and tools for members to use.

If you have an idea for a more formal show and tell or demonstration, get in touch and we can arrange a date and time for it to happen.

Gordon

One of the tubs on the shelves has an assortment of sturdy project boxe, IIRC

Ive already raided that and my store at home.
I thought they would do but they dont quite fit the need.

We need something with some ventilation and extra segregation of the mains voltage stuff and low power dc stuff. The ethernet boards get quite hot and the relays will be hooked up to the mains powered motor.

A laser cut box would be nice.

Gordon

Grammar police: “Members will be working on their own projects”.

(Only mentioning 'cos it looks like this is now a weekly cut-and-paste).

On boxes, perhaps a metal case could be used with the (temperature) hot parts thermally bonded to it? Wouldn’t need to be ventilated if the box was a heatsink itself.

FWIW, personally I really like the Hammond 1455 series. http://www.hammondmfg.com/1455.htm

If ventilation is required for the door entry system, might need to be careful about where it finally sits above the toilet: will need air circulation?

Noted and edited.
Ive always had a blind spot with there, their.

I’ll see you there Gordon. Looking forward to my first μMeet in the new building :smile:

Unfortunately the chip that gets hot is under another shield so you cant even put a heatsink on it let alone have it in contact with the body of the enclosure.
So box with holes is the only option.
It wont need a fan just some movement of air.

The box im using at the moment is a bit snug as well.
With a bit more space around it it would be better anyway.

See you on Thursday.

This was the busiest μMeet yet in the new space. At least 10 members.
We are getting close to the numbers of members we used to get in the old shop front.
We were running out of table space and had to clear tables for everyone to fit in.

Lots of busy bees working on there projects and helping each other out with ideas and components.
This is what the makerspace is all about. members getting together, encouraging and inspiring each other.

A very good night.

Gordon

3 Likes