Holes in glass, suggestions?

Hello guys, I need to make some holes in glass bottles to hung it up

Any suggestions how to?
Do we have same suitable drill bits in the space (size is not critical, anywhere between 4 and 10 mm)
Cheers!
EDIT: I’ll probably do it in the neck of the bottle

This is usually very difficult to do, My only suggestion would be to start off very small with a metal drill and slowly work your way up, You will probably find it difficult to start and unfortunately you can’t exactly use a centre punch to align your starting point.

Also make sure you are wearing safety glasses as the bottle is most likely to shatter and small shards of glass will fly!

If you were wanting to cut in half, this is much easier to do.

A metal bit on glass? First time I hear it… Will it work? Don’t I need to use diamond bit or something like that?

For starting I can use I little piece of wood glued with hot glue or duct taped to the bottle I think…

yeah well if you have access to diamond bits then definitely, but I just assumed you didnt (mybad).

Not sure, but students have done this, I think you can get special drill bits for doing this.

See http://www.instructables.com/id/Drilling-Glass/?ALLSTEPS

Lidl have diamond drill bits in this week

1 Like

Twist drills won’t work - not hard enough. You might get away with a tile drill.

You’ll also need a relatively slow drill speed, little pressure, tape to prevent slipping and coolant. Good luck

1 Like

A friend recently used a tile drill bit to do something similar and it worked well. He made about an 8mm hole to feed fairy lights through.

Flatten it with a dimond stone to get a start and then go slow and stedey with a carbide or dimond drill and keep it wet