Hi, Im Dave

Hi, I’m Dave and I’m hoping to use the woodshop to make guitars. I’m a bit confused as to what I will actually be allowed to use though. I see that there is a waiting list for inductions so does that mean I can’t do anything in the woodwork shop until I am inducted? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I don’t live very far away so happy to pop down today if anyone is there that can explain it to me a little more. Thanks and looking forward to become a useful member!

Hi Dave,

Yes, to use the bare bladed tools (and pillar drill) you need to be inducted on their safe use.

We don’t have inductions yet for most of those tools, but they’re coming very soon.

In the meantime members can add themselves to the bottom of this list for the wood shop foundation induction:

https://discourse.southlondonmakerspace.org/t/wood-workshop-foundation-induction-waiting-list/5002?u=dermot

It includes a crosscut mitre saw induction

Thanks, I’ve added myself to the list. Just to confirm though I cant use the hand planes or chisels etc without this induction?

Thanks for your help.

Those tools don’t need an induction. Although as with all equipment we expect members to appraise their own abilities, and take care of themselves, others, the tools, and the space.

Great! i’ll pop down later with a few bits of wood then :slight_smile:

Thanks.