Hello I'm Elliott, Interested in metal working

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa495ac6818> #<Tag:0x00007fa495ac66d8>

Hello I’m Elliott

I am currently a student who is looking for a place to complete projects in my spare time. I have had some past experience uning CNC milling machines, lathes and laser cutter during my college btec course but I have not done that in a long time and my university dose not really provide the facility’s for students to use. So I will likely be starting from scratch.

I know you do inductions but I was wandering if you had the following machines and what I will need to do to gain access to them. It is ok if not all of them are there I guess this is just the best case scenario.

1. CNC mill

2. Metal working lathe
    (not yet commissioned, i see you are releasing tomorrow)

3. Metal forming techniques (bending, rolling and)

4. Metal joining techniques (MIG welder)

5. Hard soldering equipment with oxygen support

I have never been part of anything like a hacker group or a maker space before so I understand if this list may seem a little strange.

But anyway thank-you so much

@metaltechs might be able to help

1. Is on our list of things we want, and we can afford it, but there’s a while to go before we choose the right one and get it up and running. We have a small hand mill.
  2. We have a good one, and it does work, but it would work better with a solid foundation, and there are no induction sessions for it yet.
  3. None
  4. We have a MIG, but nowhere appropriate to use it
  5. None

We’re not really set up for proper metalwork due to the limited amount of space. It’d be worth coming down on a Wednesday open evening to see things for yourself :slight_smile:

I managed to make it to the open evening for this week and Mark let me know that you may only have one of the things I listed. I also spoke to a few cool guys who gave me there email and told me about other places that I could be able to use that equipment.

It was basically my first time looking for something like this and regardless it was a good experience for me so I really appreciate that.
:smiley:

thanks @Beth @tomnewsom

1 Like