Do we have a vinyl cutter?

I’ve put a supplies section on the tool page. It links to the company I’ve always sourced my materials from (and the A4 size cutter I have at home). Order today and I imagine you’ll have it by the weekend without paying any expedited courier charges.

Happy to (try to) answer any questions about what’s what in the world of vinyl supplies.

2 Likes

Hi guys, having initiated afraid I’ll be 50/50 on gettingvther3 for noon. Please crack on without me. Had to prioritise some pruning work as a friend is helping but he can ionlybdi Saturday morning…if we get it all done quickly I’ll be there for noon.

Would folks be interested in a donation of a Craft Robot 12" vinyl cutter?

The software is easier to use and we could buy a package that allows direct export from illustrator and some other product I forgot which.

What model? Really, what precisely are the software requirements?

I’ve come to appreciate the non-proprietary driving of the big cutter. I don’t have Illustrator on my new Mac and so I can’t actually use my Craft Robo with it.

You don’t need illustrator to drive a craft robo. You can use silhouette studio and import files in dwg

Well that’s good if so. I bought mine pre-silhouette, when the illustrator plug-in was the only OSX support. I had at some point downloaded that new software but it didn’t have import as far as I could see / was documented.

Edit: And so, if it can be driven from e.g. the iMac with no illustrator and a long USB cable, then yes, let’s have it.

That would be amazing, it seems like there’s a fair number of beginners who would love to cut vinyl, having a smaller, less intimidating, easier-to-use cutter could be perfect for our needs.
Plus I’m tearing my hair out trying to figure out how to get my illustrator files to the big cutter.

The one I have is even older than yours I believe however it works with the latest software still.

The easiest of all is probably to install the plug-in on your own copy of illustrator, and plug-in a Craft Robo to your machine!

But there should be no need to tear hair out using the big cutter. We can help! As a physical thing it’s actually really nice to use, I much prefer it in terms of getting vinyl set up etc. to my Craft Robo.

The bit that sucks is using Inkscape as a file converter, I’d admit. but once you’ve done that once, using the laptop in the space, you should have it down.

1 Like

Me and Neill were going to play around with the vinyl cutter, are there any scarps of vinyl in the space? We both forgot to buy any : /

There’s a small bit of black in the cutter

I will be there in an hour or two. I can bring some vinyl if you need

Thanks retroactively for the offer @tobyspark : ) sorry I think I’d already left and didn’t catch your message.

I’ve bought some vinyl, watched them youtube videos and read all the documentation I can, so I’m going to try and suss out the vinyl cutter and print some stickers this Thursday evening, starting around 6pm so if anyone wants to join me they can :slight_smile:

Found our I’m busy tonight but will definitely be coming next Tuesday 21st to use the vinyl cutter (afternoon probably…) if anyone wants to join me.
I think I’ll bring along my camera as well so I can record a little video of how to use it as that might be quite useful.

2 Likes

There is a role of about 1.5 M of 60cm white vinyl sheet in the machine. I used it last week and it works well, however the roller tension is high enough to slightly mark the vinyl as it goes through.

one thing that is missing is transfer film for transferring the image you cut to the end surface. Given that everyone using the cutter will need this, its sold in 50 and 100m roles… I was wondering if it might be worth suggesting that a communal role is bought rather than everyone buying their own roll with three lifetimes worth of film?

1 Like

Sorry to revive a zombie thread but what’s the current status of the cutter? The wiki page is suggesting it needs blades and cleaning but is that actually up to date? what’s the score with the transfer film, did any end up being bought?

I’m going to try and come in this week and see if I can make my mac talk to it and add anything I learn but help would be appreciated.

Works well, blade is good

Feels like someone adjusted the roller tension – unfortunately as they were perfectly balanced before – it ruffled up the vinyl a bit last time. I ended up not engaging the middle roller. Should have tried to fix it, but was rushing

There’s some transfer film I left there

Thanks dermot, I’ll give it a go next time I’m in.