Do we have a vinyl cutter?

Want to cut some numbers in sticky backed vinyl.

yes: linky

Thanks!

Does it have a tech? Who’s most knowledgeable about it?

Can I order the blades and get reimbursed?

Hey ash, if you don’t mind (feel free to say no!) could I lurk around as you’re cutting stickers as I’d quite like to cut some out too but wasn’t sure how to use the vinyl cutter.

Doesn’t have a tech… @tobyspark , @frasco and myself probably have most experience with it…

There should be the blades I bought for it around? I think I taped them to the cutter somewhere. Anyhow the blade in there seems sharp. If we need more then order and we’ll reimburse.

1 Like

Of course! I’m a newbie too, same boat as you! Could I tempt @Dermot @tobyspark or @frasco with some homemade lemon and sultana vegan cake to show us the ropes? Vegan cake can be replaced with beer!

2 Likes

Yes, we have a cutter, and it’s good.

I made the Makerspace flag and some Makerspace pirate T-shirts for the raft race using it a few months back. The instructions on the tool page come from that. I’m happy to sit there while s new person tries to follow the instructions… and we work out how to make it better. A video, perhaps.

1 Like

Looks good.

Is the vinyl we have sticky backed?

Thanks for the offer…I’ll print out the instructions and have a go, when are you in this week, be good to have you skills in the background in case I encounter gremlins

Not much vinyl in the space…maybe a tiny bit of black…

One more for learning how to use it. Could we make an evening of it if anyone else is interested?

I would be interested too

Saturday 11th I’ll be in the space, say around 11,12 or 4pm? Any preferences?..happy to test it out either side of the hand tools group meetup

I can make all 3 times, but prefer 11/12 :slight_smile:

I can also make all three times on the 11th

I will likely have a load of laser cutting to do on Saturday, so this could work out.

At the simplest, I’ll be in the space if/when the instructions on the tools page fail or peter out. The most ambitious would be a t-shirt printing workshop, using heat-transfer vinyl, cut on the cutter and pressed on the press.

Great thanks! I’ve printed out the tools page instructions so reckon rest of us can cut some tests…but good to know help is on hand as last resort.

Where do you buy your vinyl? Any particular sheet size we need for the cutter? Are they by default all sticky backed?

Cool. Lets say from 11.30-12.00, whoever arrives first can get the ball rolling

I’d like to watch, too! I can do any of those times on 11th.

Dermot points out above that there’s very little vinyl in the space. Other threads here mention this supplier: http://www.mdpsupplies.co.uk/ We might consider a group order.

(I’m currently interested in cutting little icons for arcade buttons - small scale - and maybe some simple monochrome artwork to decorate (acrylic) project enclosures for electronics.)

1 Like

I’m up for group buy if someones happy to process it. The block of flats I’m at is notoriously bad for mail and packages not arriving.

I’m looking to do numbers, white, stickable for wheelie bins for bunch of friends and family…easy test, piece, see how that goes then do more creative stuff down the line.