Dan here! Hallo

I was at last week’s Wednesday open evening (which was great, thanks folks!) and I signed up soon afterwards. My first membership payment is due to go through today :smiley:

I’ve dabbled with CAD before and I’m interested in 3D printing and laser cutting some stuff, but for now my chief interest is learning woodwork: I want to start small and simple – a hexagonal dice tray, since I just started running my first Dungeons & Dragons campaign this year. From there I have a bunch of ideas, ranging from a custom tobacco pipe case all the way up to a perspex sided miniatures display shelf with slide-out trays.

I used to really enjoy Design/Technology at school, but at GCSE level my teacher was a real bully and totally turned me off from it, so this is a great chance to learn to make again.

I have effectively zero technical training or knowledge but I’d love to get certified and experienced enough to help pass on the knowledge to others if someone’s willing to teach me first! The only expertise I have to share involve building and painting scale models or gaming miniatures (pewter, resin, plastic, sculpting putty, acrylic paints etc.) since I’ve been doing that since I was a kid. No idea how much call there is for that kind of stuff but I’m offering anyway!

So once my payment goes through and I’ve picked up my tag, what next? If I put up a doodle of a dice tray with rough dimensions, would someone give me the gist of the amount of materials I need and the best way to go about making it?

Thanks for reading!

1 Like

The people behind @welcome should be pointing you at the right places. Mentioning then should summon them here =]

1 Like

Hi Dan,

I remember you telling me about your tray at the open evening. Welcome aboard.

Once you’ve got your fob record the time you use it on the door and tell “@ directors” (without the space) the time so they can activate it.
Put up an image of your doodle in the projects section and ask all the questions you want.
Keep an eye out in the Inductions section for inductions on the kit you are hoping to use.

2 Likes

Thank you both! And thanks again for the open evening Peter, hope to run into you again soon :smiley:

1 Like

Hi Dan, this should hopefully answer your questions!

https://discourse.southlondonmakerspace.org/t/introducing-south-london-makerspace-information-for-new-members/3721/3

1 Like

Hi dan,

I’d love a d&d evening in the space!!! I was thinking of trying to 3d print a dungeon and characters :dragon_face:

1 Like