Bins & Rubbish

Yes I’m not sure exactly what the problem was. It would be good to get to the bottom of it.

He doesn’t like taking it because it costs more to dispose of. However that’s not a problem for us, as we are willing to pay extra for that.

I don’t mind carrying on as we are if you feel very strongly that we shouldn’t change anything. But I think this is one of those festering unresolved issues that we were chatting about the other day, which is why I’m raising it now.

I think it would be worth arranging for Xavier and Jose to come visit us together, ideally when @unknowndomain and I can be there too, so we can get to the bottom of how it should ideally work and then we can update the bin signs and the discourse page and buy any new bins we need to make it work. Presumably that would help with negotiation of price too, if we’re making the effort to make their lives easier.

But I appreciate that would be a bit of a faff to organise so if you feel very strongly against doing it then I’ll drop the subject again.

1 Like

I think that letting this issue fester and drag on unresolved sends a message that we don’t care about the space and have no pride in it.

I’m struggling to understand exactly what your issue is with the bins.

For me 2 bins in the kitchen seems normal, and the improvement would be to add a separate food waste.

Clearly there’s something else that you’re not happy with. What is it? What do you mean by ‘how they should ideally work’? This seems to assume that we don’t already know this.

From my POV various members have dipped in and out of this and never really taken ownership and I’ve ended up handling it. It’s been a bit messy and of a headache really, so what I don’t want is more headache.

If someone else is prepared to step forward and own it long-term I’d be more than happy.

Personally, I’m not sure what to do with waste in the space. Specifically - when the wheelie bins are full, and the bags are piling up, am I (as a member) supposed to do something - eg. like request a collection?
Suggest @Dermot, as the most knowledgeable on current situation, update the very out of date “how to” doc:

Sorry that this has become a headache!

1 Like

Oh yes, the documentation needs updating for sure

Worth printing, laminating and taping clear instructions onto each bin

1 Like

Opening a can of worms there mate!

Cans go in recycling bin. Worms…hmm we need a wormery. Labelled : )

1 Like

Isn’t this what we have now?

People aren’t sure what rubbish to put where, don’t understand the process, and dont know that bags should ideally be filled up to 10 kilos each to get value for money.

The laminated signs on the bins, and the blurb on discourse needs updating.

Volunteers are ready to do the updating, but want to understand better what should go where before doing so.

I’ve been there when Jose has arrived and made it clear that he wasn’t happy but I couldn’t communicate with him.

You want contact to go via you which is fair enough, but you then say there are no issues to resolve which clearly is not the case.

Also, personal opinion, the recycling bin in the kitchen is ugly and I really don’t like having rubbish on display.

Rubbish in the space is a festering unresolved frustrating issue.

1 Like

I would do this if I could get some sense about what the situation is myself. I tried to ask before but never really got a clear idea. I personally don’t think the situation with Quantum is working and it’s turning out to be more expensive.

I mean, are we keeping our side of the bargain by making it easy for them to sort and recycle stuff? Or are we doing something wrong without realising it, like underfilling the bags or mixing different types of rubbish together?

I don’t necessarily think that’s the case but I would like to know why Jose isn’t happy sometimes and what we should be doing differently.

I’m not trying to create a new headache for you, I’m trying to solve a niggly headache that already exists.

1 Like

Maybe he’s just a grumpy guy? We’re paying them and if they don’t like it they don’t have to take it…

He came across as bewildered rather than grumpy, from what I could figure out. :slight_smile:

These comments are by no means directed at you but are in response to the comment you made and possibly the frame of mind [not being aware we have some issues with the rubbish].

I tried to take responsibility for this before after it became gross last time. Certain members jumped in for whatever reason and steam rolled the situation out of my hands. And put in a system that isn’t great and a lot of people dont understands.

People are genuinely trying to help but the responses they get aren’t helping.

It should be 100% obvious how to throw your stuff away in the space. Visitors should be able to use the bins.At the moment it’s a bit like a crystal maze game trying to work out which one to use.

A solution that 4 people understand is not a solution.

People like Sarah and me are trying to help and get little or no support or worse agro.

Some members are saying the space is not tidy enough and it’s generally met very negatively or with agro. Just seen as not a problem to some and those that do care just have to lump it. This is not inclusive.

The directors contribution to supporting the spring clean has been extremely disappointing. So far.

We need to review the waste situation properly. It’s not that hard but needs support.

• we need a decision on the company we use
  • We could do with some decent bins in the space
  • we need documentation
  • something saying empty the bin when it’s X full.
  • I’m not a fan of labels. I would go as far as saying I hate labels. But I think bins need them. Especially if there are different bins for different types of waste.
  • the outside space needs sorting out as our area is probably currently the messiest on our row.
  • Possibly a structure to keep the bins in outside. different outside bins?
  • we don’t have enough outside capacity for waste. It just gets left in piles not in bins.
  • get in touch with Quantum. Have a conversation about weather there are issues with the collections or not instead of jumping to ill informed conclusions.
  • if someone takes on this work support them. And then perhaps then don’t undo it

As well as the logistics of this I think we have a problem with delegation (not just my opinion but some of the feedback from the governance review) at the space where a few people take on too much responsibility and ownership and make it hard for others to contribute. It’s been a long ongoing problem. That means people just end up getting frustrated, not coming or leaving. Not all the people that should be at the space are. And that sucks!!!

The bin issues are glaringly obvious to any one that’s bothered about it.

Who is going to do it is the real question?

But, why would anyone take this on when it’s literally the crappiest job in the space.
Historically if you do take it on your met with agro or called a clutter nazi.
And you probably won’t get much backing from those that should.

2 Likes

Without wishing to sound like a complete xenophobe, the least to hope for when paying for a service is to be able to communicate with them. I’m sure Jose is a lovely chap and all, but it’s pretty ridiculous for us to not be able to communicate with him, especially considering there seems to be issues with the way our rubbish is dealt with.

Let’s please get a handle on things so that he can collect the rubbish without hindrance and stop the awkward situations where we have members not being able to communicate with him owing to a language barrier.

In short, either get this sorted to he can waltz in and take the rubbish away without having to speak to anyone, or if that is not possible for whatever reason, consider asking for a different operative or changing to another service provider.

It great that members are ready to do this.

I’ve now built a relationship – in the void where everyone else abandoned the issue – so we may as well keep this going as the the major work is now done.

Yes, I want to negotiate/communicate with him further so we both happier: but last times I’ve seen him he’s been smiling and friendly. Communication is ongoing, and I’m working to get it better.

I don’t see the need for updating signage and Discourse as the major issue it’s coming across as in this post. But I agree it needs to be done.