Beds beds and more beds

Must be something in the water this month as I am also planning on building a bed, in my case the week of the 28th, which I have off. I’m also hoping to get to the space early most days so if there are any other earlybirds who want to take advantage of people being about be sure to drop by.

Print screen from my sketchup file - this is hopefully going to be a gas spring bed (opening across the bed) allowing me to take full advantage of the storage. I think I’m going to opt for 18mm beech plywood, but as I’ve not much experience on furniture projects any advice appreciated! The headboard will hopefully be finished using a thin layer of reclaimed hardwood I’ve managed to get my hands on, but for now I want to concentrate on getting the structure and function sorted.

I’ll update the thread with build photos.

1 Like

And a quick shot of the underside, showing the board and beam sandwiches which make up the head-, middle- and footboards.

2 Likes

Nice! Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.
How are you planning to do the joinery ?

Cheers. Nothing particularly fancy, due to the need to take it apart in the future. The head and foot boards will be sandwiched softwood and ply, so I can put screws straight into that to secure it. I will probably route out a dado for the shelves and glue the headboard together as a solid unit, then laminate the front on.

For the actual bed the slats will be set into the main frame and screwed down, and I’ll probably go for a chunky domino and screws to secure the corners. I also need to source gas springs.

Progress on the bed: main bedframe complete and one layer of wax applied. Quite pleased so far.

5 Likes