Arduino Day - Planning

slms arduino badges would be a cool thing

@tobyspark I’ve been using our meetup to promote, feel free to copy/adapt the text if that’s useful? We’ll appreciate a link to our group as well :slight_smile:

@Dermot In terms of outreach: I have added to Not Just Arduino google group, tweetet to Dorkbot, do they have a mailing list as well? I’ll put on Element14 forum and I’ll do a mailchimp to our members this weekend.

That’s great. I’ll check with Dave at Dorkbot, I think they do most stuff via FB nowadays?

Yes, we should get you linked on everything as a partner!

I’m going to take last year’s post as a rough template Work of the ancients and mash together info from here and the meetup link.

I’ll also make the same linked posts we had last year, as that worked. Then we can ctlC/V it to the website? @tobyspark @paul?

@marc_barto is this the best link to use for London Arduino: https://www.meetup.com/LondonArduino/

Thanks Dermot yes that the link :slight_smile:

Guys/gals have a look here: Arduino Day 2017 draft main page

If we’re allocating places for the Sunday workshops we could just do it the way we do inductions?

Also: are we running the things we’ve said on these days?

Are we doing food? Should we publicise that, or leave it informal?

GTG. Back later! @tobyspark @Courty @marc_barto

Anyone else got anything to add/modify?

Looks good!
Quick comments: we could have a few pics to the page? I have some good ones from Arduino Day 2015 we ran at SLM, feel free to use any! https://www.flickr.com/photos/visionontv/albums/72157651205153198

We’re partnering up with our friends at the London Arduino to bring you a great weekend of events.
Thanks for the mention, let’s remove the “the” or add “group” :slight_smile:

Yes, I meant to move your pic back in! Toby’s great with pics…

Poster: slms-poster-2017-arduinoday.pdf (1.5 MB)

Banner for mailshot:

1 Like

Blog page: done from Dermot’s draft, have a look and I’ll make any edits.

Draft page and (duplicate) questions page: closed.

Still to do:

Will calendarise it.

We also need to rally troops.

@Courty the official Arduino day page still points here. Should be this link: https://www.southlondonmakerspace.org/2017/03/arduino-day-2017/

@toby: the links don’t work in that blog post, also looks like it removed bullets so we have a bunch of sentences starting in lower case. Not end of the world stuff…

Updated and its now live !

Courty

1 Like

Hi Toby, I’ll have a go at doing this tomorrow, I’ll keep it simple first time round.

Cheers,
Jan

So: looks like we’ll have some interesting stuff on show on Saturday.

@mpecirno said he might have some prototypes of real world architectural climate control type systems to bring on Saturday.

We need to nail down exactly what’s on offer:

Who’s in on when, and running what:

Saturday
Led by @emuboy + @marc_barto plus who else?

• Arduino 101?
  • learn to solder? Do we have enough badges?

Sunday:
Led by @Courty +?

• intro to IoT?

• ESP8266 workshop?

• Hardware Jam?

As a Makerpace open event it would also be great if someone wanted to do some laser cutting demoing, have things printing on the Ultimaker – or even my old Arduino-based Prusa 2?

Feels like we really need to nail this down now and rally the troops.

We also need people to come in on before the event to get things in shape. I thought that was going to have to be Friday evening, but a lot of great work over the weekend has left the Space in good shape. I’m planning to be there from about 8 on Saturday morning, but will have to leave at lunchtime as I have two other events on…

I’ll bring the huge gazebo along: it was a 6 person job to erect last time…

We have some budget to provide a snacks and refreshments, and of course if someone offers to do a BBQ…or anything else, then that will just enhance the day.

It would be a nice touch to have the new signs ready for this event: the existing ones are nothing to be that proud of. But it’s a ‘nice to have’ rather than an essential.

Some nice print outs of the poster would be good. We can do A4 in the space.

I’ve put something together, sent trustees@ and Toby a test and its ready to go.

1 Like

@Courty @emuboy @marc_barto can you guys confirm that our website blog gives a fair representation of what we’re doing/offering this weekend?
Let’s get this agreed before sending out Jan’s mailshot.

Thanks Dermot:

So for Saturday:

Saturday
Led by @emuboy + @marc_barto plus who else?

• Arduino 101? (no one confirmed for this on our side I’m afraid due to Maker Faire UK exodus)
  • learn to solder?(not run by us either for same reason as above :weary:)
  • Exhibitors confirmed: Francisco (mbot), Martin (drones), Adriano/Mellissa (IoT board), Nicholas (Arduino board / Ethersia)
  • TBC: Oliver (R2D2 replica), Paul (Arduino Synth), Fabrizio (littlebits kits), possibly others

We have some budget to provide snacks and refreshments, and of course if someone offers to do a BBQ…or anything else, then that will just enhance the day.

That would be great

Jan - nicely done. I’d shorten the title down to just ‘Arduino Day 2017’ (the call to action is already there in the line above the page proper), and the date line could be more compact (e.g., overflows the line on my phone)

FWIW, I think the R2D2 replica, built by someone who worked on the Force Awakens, is an amazing thing to promote… if/when confirmed crosses fingers

1 Like

Hi! I’d like to do what I can to support this event; I’ll be able to be there early to set up, or possibly be there on the Friday if people decide to do anything then towards setting up.
I am comfortable with the basics of soldering and the basics of Arduino but I don’t think I should lead any workshops. If anyone needs an extra hand with helping out complete beginners I’m definitely confident enough to assist there!